Thursday, October 13, 2011

Freebird

Four years ago I went to see Lynyrd Skynyrd open for Kid Rock at the Riverbend Ampitheatre. It was my first tour and the crew knew some of Kid Rock's crew. They all spent their time backstage drinking and hanging out with their friends, I was the only one who watched any of the show. Though I played it off like it was kinda cheesy, to me, it was magical. I was finally on the road, and on a night off, we got backstage passes to a show I actually wanted to see. I timidly walked out to front of house, not knowing anyone, but I had the right passes, so I stood there quietly, trying to stay out of the way. Lynyrd Skynyrd isn't what they were in 1977, how could they be....only one of the original members still remains. But that night, watching Freebird, I had an aching longing in my heart, a deep yearn, to one day tour with them. Why? No idea. Other than the part about them being an anthem for my youth. A few people actually called me Freebird for a semester of my senior year because I taped the lyrics to my bedroom door. But that time was long gone right? I didn't connect with this band on stage or its audience, but at that moment, I wanted to be a part of it. As soon as Kid Rock came on I left. So here I am, in Albuquerque, NM, and I just watched Lynyrd Skynyrd, once again, from the sound board, but this time, I'm supposed to be there. I'm on tour with ZZ Top, and Skynyrd is opening. I watched the whole set. And to be honest, its cheesy. They use large painted tapestries instead of video screens, they all look like a cross between Brett Michaels and Slash and I really can't muster any love for the confederate flag that they grip like a rosary. So much has happened in the last four years of touring. The massive crowds, world renowned festivals, celebrity appearances, jet setting luxuries. This half empty state fair arena doesn't really seem like much when compared to other touring acts, however, the faces of the crowd are just as bright, just as star struck, mouthing all the words, tapping feet just like the best of them. So I look around, and think back to myself four years ago when Simple Man made me cry, when Sweet Home Alabama made me stomp, when Freebird took my breath away. I think about the point of all this. That these guys up on stage play songs they didn't write, for fans who don't care who they are; its about the music. Its about the fact that these songs still evoke emotion in the fans. That people will pay money to hear the songs they were listening to when they learned to drive their first car, the song that was playing when they lost their virginity, the song they celebrated that big Friday Night win to back when they were 18 and felt they could take over the world. They want to feel that way again, and these songs will do it. So it doesn't really matter that they don't have the big screens or the fancy lights, it's not about that. I knew it four years ago, and tonight, I'm reminded of that; the purity of it all. And I shiver at the thought that when I was 25 I made a wish to tour with Lynyrd Skynyrd, and tonight, that wish has been granted. I'm a decade away from having those lyrics pasted on my wall, but I guess that I, like everyone else in that audience tonight, will never be too far away from that person I once was. There are some memories you never outgrow. And while sitting at front of house, I once again acknowledged that if you do want something, purely in your heart, the universe will deliver. So let yourself dream. Get into the moment. Feel something. Really want something. Allow yourself that gift. And if you do.....it will happen for you.





No comments: