Monday, July 12, 2010

I'm at a waterslide park in Orlando...

Have you ever wondered where the term "ugly American" comes from? I'm looking at it. So I figured, with three days off in Orlando, Florida, why not go down some water slides? I think I'm scarred for life. I've vowed never to eat fast food ever ever again. But onto sunnier topics, I went to Bruce Hall's house for his son's birthday party on the 5th. For those of you who don't follow REO Speedwagon, Bruce Hall is the bass player. The whole crew was invited to attend, we drove over in the bus and parked on his palacial estate. I found it interesting that the neighboring palacial estate (with the same layout but in terracotta rather than stone gray) was in forclosure. Even rockstars can't distance themselves too far from reality. It was a lovely time. We ate burgers and ice cream cake and felt a sense of home for a short time. Watching 13 slightly overweight roadies in their late 40's and early 50's eat cake and drink soda in a sea of kids made me break out in a quiet laugh as Bruce passed out brownies. REO Speedwagon has been a journey thus far. A journey into a certain reality. All the hot chicks are gone, the blow dissapeared long ago, instead, wives pictures poke out of wallets and images of kids are displayed proudly on iphones. There is a sweetness to the whole thing, a sense of a brotherhood, and it's comforting knowing that even when the late nights turn into early bedtimes, the band plays on. We walked into the main foyer and there, displayed in all their glory, gold records and bass guitars. Bruce Hall's Hall. It was rather breathtaking. It wasn't the Hall of Records at Graceland, but then, nothing is. I turned to a nice looking man with a long white ponytail tucked into a basball cap, smiled and said "thanks for having us in your home". He winked like Santa Clause would to a kid with a tray of cookies and turned to attend to the grill. They really are very happy. And I feel honored to have been a part of such a sweet day, Tomorrow we play Lampe, MO. Lampe is 45 minutes north of Branson, Missouri. Hopefully I'll make friends with some local folk and aquire some grade-A moonshine. Here's hoping.

No comments: